People are being reminded to secure their doors and windows following a spate of reported burglaries in Ipswich and the surrounding area.
Offenders are targeting cash, watches and jewellery and Suffolk Police are investigating the burglaries but there are simple measures people can take to reduce the risk to their properties.
Burglary Prevention Tips:
- Always close and lock all windows and doors when leaving your home.
- Always close and lock windows when in another part of the house or garden.
- Always keep front and rear doors locked when at home or out in the garden.
- Avoid keeping any valuable jewellery items (either sentimental or monetary value) in the master bedroom.
- Avoid keeping valuable jewellery in obvious places eg. jewellery boxes, under the bed or at the bottom of the wardrobe.
- Consider hiding such items in several locations around your home (not a wardrobe).
- If using a safe please ensure this is secured to a solid floor see http://www.securedbydesign.com for details.
- Ensure valuable or sentimental items of jewellery are suitably insured.
- Take photographs of all such items (laid beside a ruler) & store these in a safe place.
- Register all valuable items on http://www.immobilise.com
- Large quantities of cash should never be kept at home.
For more burglary prevention tips and to keep your home safe, kindly follow Advice on Burglary Prevention.